1. Columbus State Community College (OH)
2. Florida International University Board of Trustees (FL)
3. University of Cincinnati (OH)
4. Illinois Community College Board (IL)
5. Miami Dade College (FL)
6. Purdue University (IN)
7. San Jacinto Community College District (TX)
8. Trustees of Clark University (MA)
9. Weber State University (UT)
10. West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education (WV)
The SA technical assistance (TA) team will be hosting industry-specific discussion opportunities to allow grantees to share their experiences, learn from others and disseminate promising practices.
Our first of the monthly IT & Cyber grantee calls took place on February 26. In this call, grantees discussed various issues. Among challenges, grantees highlighted:
• The low level of knowledge of apprenticeship programs in IT among employers.
• How the required hours of on-the-job training of the adopted programs– 2,000 hours – created resistance among employers.
• Specific challenges in programs serving incumbent workers.
Grantees also shared their experiences and practical tips in designing and managing an apprenticeship program. These included:
• Leveraging state funds to encourage employers through wage matching.
• Creating an advisory board to the program that includes workforce boards with its connections to employers.
• How to identify credentials that are valuable to workers when employers are often only seeking a skill set.
• Specific program needs of the cybersecurity subfield.
We will be hosting monthly IT sector discussion sessions with grantees. The discussions will provide an opportunity for grantees to share tips, present their accomplishments and challenges. The calls will take place on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 1 pm EST.
The TA team will be creating a dedicated e-mailing list for IT grantees to continue the conversation and promote additional peer-sharing opportunities.
Upcoming dates for the IT and Cybersecurity Peer Discussions appear below – be on the lookout for your invitation from H-1B Scaling Apprenticeship at ScalingApprenticeship@dol.gov
• Wednesday, March 25 at 1 pm EST
• Wednesday, April 29 at 1 pm EST
• Wednesday, May 27 at 1 pm EST
• Wednesday, June 24 at 1 pm EST
We look forward to seeing you there!